" I am the Lord. I change not." Malachi 3:6

Friday, April 9, 2010

From East to West- And my 100th post!

What a whirlwind of a week. Monday morning I left early for South Carolina. I was flying on a small jet....and I'm not a good flier. Don't get me wrong...I fly alot more in the past year, than I have in a long time. But I don't like. I don't like not have "control"...for those of you who read my blog regulary i'm sure you know that. :) Flying is no exception....I don't like not being on the ground, and I don't like turbulence... but I've been working on my fear and praying about it alot! Monday's flight went well...landed just find and headed to my families place in Senecca. My business meetings were about 45 minutes from where they live but all of my meetings were moved to Tuesday so I had the afternoon/evening to spend time with them and I loved every minute of it. I hadn't seen my aunt in years and it was great to see my Grams. She normally comes out here once a year and it was such a treat to be able to see their home. My grandma loves to quilt and since I'm fairly new to quilting we have enjoyed comparing notes, mostly me asking a lot of questions:) We had chicken salad for lunch which was amazing! My aunt made it from scratch and it was delicious. I had to work for a bit but afterwards they drove me around their town and took me to this cute resteraunt on a dock and we had appetizers and a couple glasses of wine and just talked. I loved it! Afterwards we went back to their place and I headed for my hotel. My meetings were the next day and I would fly back home shortly thereafter. I was rather dissapointed because my cousin Rebecca, her husband, and three kids live three blocks from my aunt, uncle, and Grams but they were in Charleston for Easter/spring break and weren't going to be back until Tuesday. I haven't seen Rebecca in 15 years but we have always been so close. Tuesday I spent much of the late afternoon at the airport working waiting for my plane...another small jet. As soon as we took off I knew something was wrong....we took off but didn't get up as high as we should have...this I knew because we were still below the clouds minutes after take off..and the plane felt like it was gliding...then the pilot called the flight attendent and I watched her eyes get big...and my heart sank. Two of my biggest fears is dying in a plane or drowning. She got on the phone and told us the plane was having mechanical problems, the pilot was on the phone with ATC, and they were going to TRY to get back to the airport. That is when I lost it. I looked at the man in front of me with his head in his hand...the lady next to me looked like a ghost and I just cried...thankful I had told my boys just how much I love them...thankful I told Chad I loved him...and then I started talking to God....asking for forgiveness for all of the wrong I have done and how sorry I was for not doing everything I should have this side of eternity. I couldn't see out the window so I kept asking the lady next to me if she could see the airport or landing strip and she told me she wasn't sure what she saw...the plane was still low and I was afraid he was going to try and land on the highway...but then he turned the plane and we made it to the runway....and I wept....They deplaned us and took all of the luggage off and I was shaking.....and couldn't stop. So thankful to be on the ground and just wanted to hear Chad's voice. I think I called him every 10 minutes that first hour...poor guy. The airport staff was trying to rebook everyone on connecting flights but I knew I couldn't get on a plane right then...I just couldn't. I called my boss, got a rental car and headed back to my aunt and uncles. I decided that I would drive home...crazy I know...but that's what I needed to do for me. I wasn't emotionally ready to get back on a plane...rationally I know that thousands of planes fly a day and the chances of my next flight having mechanical problems were slim to none but I just couldn't get all of the pictures out of my head of my time in the air...and need some time. I spent the next day in Senecca and it was a blessing. When I drove back Tuesday evening I went to my cousins and had dinner with everyone and it was great! I got to meet my cousins three kids who are precious and just enjoyed being with family. I worked all day Wed and then Wed night had dinner with everyone again and just talked. Thurs morning I got up at 4am and started the 14 hour drive home...and it went well. I still can't believe I drove from SC to Chicago to WI in one day but I did and it was great. I had a lot of time to think, talk to God, pray, enjoy talking to friends/family and thinking alot! I rolled in last night around 8 and crashed!!! I gave the boys and Chad big hugs and was just to thankful to be home safely. I worked from home today and we took the boys to see "How to train a dragon" and loved it! I'm not much for cartoon movies but I just loved it and will definately be buying it when it comes out on DVD. Now Chad is going to grill turkey burgers, then it's bedtime for the boys and I'm hoping to muster some energy to quilt, but I don't know...i'm still pretty tired. So there is my week in a nutshell and today is my 100th post!!! It's hard to believe I've posted that many times. As look back at different posts I'm thankful for this blog for so many reasons! It's become a place for me to put my thoughts down, write special memories, reflect on life and all that is happening. I've also made some new friends, and at the end of the day just want to be used for His plan. I have many inperfections but am enjoying being molded by the Potter!

1 comment:

Erika said...

Ohmigoodness!!! I'm so glad you made it home safely!! I would've been a nervous wreck too!!! I don't enjoy flying much either but it definitely beats the 24 hour drive I would have to take to see my sister & brother in California. Hopefully you don't have flight travels anytime soon! Happy 100th post!!! Enjoy your weekend!